I’m inspired by flowers, shoes, tattoos, vintage fabrics, mid-century design, tiki culture, well-established English gardens, juicy squishy paint, nature, the beach, old movies, typography, handmade things, and diving deep into a theme to find a twist on it that is a bit off the beaten path. You’ll probably notice a crossover of themes, methods, and media in my work, they all intertwine.
Art • Design • Fabric • Paint • Glitter • Sometimes swe*rs • Loves dogs • Illustrator • Letter-er • Instagram Addict • Aspiring eventual children’s book author/illustrator
Welcome! I’m so glad you stopped by!
I’m Cynthia, painter, artist, designer, and maker! I’m a working indie artist and designer, and do a lot of different things, as most creative people do. This site is dedicated to sharing my work, some sneak peeks behind the scenes in my studio, a little dose of inspiration or fun creativity ideas, and a little bit about me and why I do what I do.
I want to inspire you and make you smile, whether it’s with my artwork, some interesting tips for finding creativity in your life, or just something I think you might like or need to know about!
People always remark that my work is extremely colourful and happy and makes them smile, and I hope that I can inspire you to get colourful in your own life, whether it’s with a new piece of art, a tidbit of inspiration, an awesome must-read book, or a special handmade piece.
You can check out some of my work here to get a little flavour flav!
By day, I’m a graphic designer (I’m a lifer with 27+ years under my belt, but who’s counting…?) and I work with my husband in our company Green Couch Designs, where we work with special clients to help them bring their design and illustration visions to life.
I’ve been creating since I was very young. Art is my life and I could keep myself busy for years with all the creative stuff I want to do. Years!
As a teen, I wanted to become a fashion designer, but then went for graphic design and am so glad I did. I love all things design, typography, and the smell of fresh printer’s ink can’t be beat.
Other things I’ve done that add to the story: designing several collections of fabric for Robert Kaufman Fabrics, creating licensed illustrations that now appear in department stores and specialty grocery stores, I’ve made mosaics, created hand-drawn chalkboards, illustrated books, produced my own greeting card line, and created and sewn my own little indie fashion collection for curvy fashionistas!
In recent years I’ve been drawn to becoming a more full-time artist and maker. I can spend hours in the studio and there time flies by in a wink. I adore working with colour, juicy squishy paints, and bright coloured pencils, with a dash or two of glitter thrown in for good measure. I’ve finally realized that I need to be doing this. I just absolutely, passionately live and breathe NEED to be doing this.
And so I am.
Digitally- the big 3: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, plus my new fave on my iPad, Procreate!
By Hand- pencil, paper, canvas, paint, fabric, glitter, sequins….
- I’m not a summer person, I’m a very crabby Cancer. So much so, I made tshirt design to celebrate it!
- When I watch movies or tv shows, I tend to pay attention to what’s happening in the background and overall set or location more than what’s actually happening in the show. (Try it sometime, it’s really interesting!)
- I’m a stickler for being on time. I hate being late, or even more, being made to be late by someone else. Nothing gets my knickers in a knot faster.
- I like most genres of music, depending on my mood and I’m obsessed with finding the soundtracks from fave tv shows or movies.
- I love scouring thrift stores for hidden treasures. I’m always on the lookout for vintage fabrics and linens that I’ll eventually turn into a quilt, or something.
- finally write and illustrate the kids books I have floating in my head.
- design a collection of cards + art for a big card co. (working on this one!)
- paint a commission portrait of a celeb- Oprah call me!
- design some super funky food, bath & body, wine or alcohol labels/packaging. I have ideas… just need the client for them!
- create a cool line of tees for witchy folks, curvy options a must!
I am available for freelance design and illustration work, drop me a note and we can chat!
Let’s be friends! I love being online and meeting cool people- find me and say hi!
And! if you’d like to be the first to know about upcoming sales, news, new stuff I’m working on, inspo tips, and more, you can sign up for my mailing list to stay in the loop!
Starting in January 2019, I’ll be sending an illustrated printable monthly calendar (PDF format) that you can print out and use to keep track of all your important dates. Get on the the list to nab one, right in your inbox every month!