Did you QuiltCon this year? I didn’t, again, sadly, as much as I would have loved to. One year I have to get myself there and see all the amazing modern quilting goodness!
Lucky for me though, I had two challenge quilts go in my place, and represent, as part of Northcott Fabrics’ booth! I was invited to join two challenges, along with quite a few other modern quilty peeps and designers, and I gladly accepted.
The first one was to use and feature Northcott’s new Colorworks Concepts and solids collections. They’re all really bright and happy, and colourful!
The main requirement, other than to feature the fabrics, was to keep the final quilt to 50″x60″, the rest was up to each designer.
I started with a traditional “Friendship Star” block, and made it huge, to showcase the print in the centre. It sure had impact made extra big!
I added “glitter” radiating around it in assorted colours and a coordinating print from the collection. My inspiration was from my fellow glitter aficionados, friends who love glitter are the best kind of friends, sparkle on!
I used the same print as the centre of the block for the binding, fussy cutting it to get a rainbow striped binding, oooh fun!
I quilted it with swirls and bubbles to enhance the glitter theme. I discovered the Janome’s invisible lockstitch which made all the stops and starts so much easier, love it!
I pieced it improv style, but using straight cut pieces, rather than freeform cut, to keep the glitter pieces straight and to keep the final quilt square. It didn’t want to cooperate for it’s photoshoot, but it’s really not wavy on the edges!
Good Friends and Glitter, 50″x60″
The second challenge was also to use some specific fabrics. We were given 5 5″ charms of a nice dark purple, and an assortment of neutral solids. The only requirement for this one was to use the purple somewhere, and the final size to be 30″x30″.
I did this one improvisationally as well, but no measuring, and just making the pieces work together. When I quilted it, I stitched over the whole thing, except for the purple “interfering” pieces. It was a great challenge because you have very little of the purple, and it’s the only “feature” fabric you have to work with, so making it work and making it interesting were the things to figure out.
All in all, tons of fun and I was so excited, thankful, and honoured to be asked to participate! The fabrics were lovely to work with, and nice and bright and happy, sew much fun!