, , , , ,

Coat of Paint, finished!

My Coat of Paint project is finished and shipped off for it’s adventures on the Sunshine Coast as part of the fashion show in October! You can find out a bit more about the whole project and show, Coats of Paint, on Facebook, here.

I wanted to share more of the process, and of course finished photos, so here goes! Where I left off was with finished painted panels.

After that stage, and the paint had dried thoroughly, I did a quick heat set of the paint with my iron. Acrylics are usually pretty permanent, but just to be safe, I gave it a good steam and once-over with a hot iron.

heat-set-2

heat-set

Which, made a huge mess of my iron! Of course! Paint + heat can have a bit of  a weird reaction sometimes.

dirty-iron

Gah! But, luckily I had some Iron Off handy and it cleaned it right up. If you have a dirty iron, that stuff works like a charm, even gets burnt on fusible/interfacing gunk off. You can see there was some on there from another “incident” shall we say, where I melted some polyester pompom trim when I ironed over it not knowing it wasn’t iron-able. Oops.

clean-with-iron-off

Came off no probs!

So after heat setting and cleaning the iron, I sewed the pieces together. It’s a pretty simple pattern 2 front pieces and one back, nothing too complicated.

double-seam-under-arm

I made sure to double-stitch the underarm seam for extra strength, and then clipped the curved edges so it wouldn’t bunch or bind up.

doublestitch-seam

Once it was assembled, I started adding bling- sequins, beads, and Swarovski crystals! It took several hours, but sitting outside in the warm weather made it enjoyable. Not that playing with sequins isn’t fun enough already!

beading

bling

Each one is attached by hand and secured on the back with several stitches.

beading-in-progress

 

length-check

After the bling part, I had planned to lengthen the coat sleeves and body as they are quite short. I really wanted to have a black and white striped fabric with wide stripes, but could I find any at the fabric store, uh uh. So, I got creative and made my own, using scraps- yay!- of black & white prints, neutral greys/off-white tone on tone prints. You can see some on the cuff in the photo above. I wanted the “hand” of the fabric and overall weight to match the main body of the coat so it would hang properly, so, using  a trick I learned from my friend Cathy, I grabbed some canvas, aka cheap painters drop cloth from Canadian Tire- best stuff ever!- and made the extension pieces, then covered them with scraps in a “quilt as you go” method, alternating lights and darks. I accidentally didn’t take any photos of this process, but it went pretty quickly. I then attached them to the main body and sleeves and pressed the hems under.

lining

After that, I covered the front and neck facings with fabric, instead of paint, as I didn’t want the wearer to have paint rubbing on their skin or clothes. I used some of my own fabric I designed a while ago for Spoonflower, it’s called Doodle Words, and you can find it here, just in case you’re interested!

I have to say I put the lining part off for a few days as I was nervous about the pattern I made and it actually working. I had to make a couple of modifications to my original pattern, I forgot about the facing pieces, eep- so I adjusted and allowed for those and got busy putting it in place.

The lining fabric I had on hand already, a thrift store find, I think I paid $1 for it. I had just enough to get the lining pieces cut from it, phew! I sewed the facings together, checked the fit, then sewed the lining pieces together. I hand-stitched the lining in place, it was too tricky to maneuver on the machine, and, I didn’t want to crumple up the coat too much in the process. It went pretty fast though, no probs! I let some of the lining bag out (not put in tightly fitting to the coat body) so that the wearer will have more room to move and be able to raise their arms without the whole thing pulling or being too tight- important stuff! I tucked the raw edges inside the hem at bottom, not totally the “couture”way to do it, but it worked just fine.

Turned it all back right sides out and done!coat-with-lining

More detail shots…

detail-2

detail1

side-view-detail

back-view-2

back-view

backview-shoulders

coat-finished1

I hope whoever gets it loves it as much as I loved making it! I’m thrilled to be part of the show, and so excited to be asked to take part in such a fun event!

Happy happy!

 

1 Comment


  1. It looks so amazing!!! Way to go! Love that you used painter’s drop cloth. Thank goodness for canadian tire!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *